Sunday, February 7, 2010

It Shines

Before the kids were born, I visited my grandparents in Florida for a weekend.  During the quick visit, my grandma showed me several of her prized possessions.  She never really had much of anything, but she was proud of what she did have.

During this show and tell session, Grandma showed me a set of silver that she was trying to sell in her weekly front porch sale.  It was like a little store, only not.  Anyway, she told me that when my mom and aunt were young, she decided she wanted a nice set of silver.  She paid $1.00 down, $1.00 a week until the set was paid for.  It appeared that only 4 of the 8 place settings were used on a regular basis.  I am sure Grandma was saving the others for special.

I couldn't let this set go to some stranger, so I bought it from her.  Of course, in true Grandma fashion, she tried to give it to me.  Nope.  I needed to pay her.  I knew she could use the cash; she would just never, ever say that.

DSCF0804

I love this set of silver.  Imagine all the memories it holds from years gone by.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you have her silver! We still have my moms silver...but I don't think it's ever been used...or really loved for that matter, so there is no sentimental attachment. But...this does give me a great idea for the end of the day when I still haven't taken a picture...I can get one of the things that are special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, your grandmother's silver set looks an awful lot like a set that we inherited from my ILs. When it's not freezing up on the attic, I'll go look at our set and see if the design is the same. :>

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think.